Effective Date: 21 March 2012
"Forums" means forums within the 6PW Chat part of the Shared Info section of the Site
"Log In Details" means the email address given by you and the password created by you when you first register with the Site
"our Content" means health information and software applications which we have written or commissioned and which is contained within the Knowledge Centre section of the Site
a "registered user" means a user of the Site who has registered with the Site
"the Site" means sixpartswater.org and its directly associated domains
"user" means any user of the Site
"User Content" means written, photo or video health information and comments shared by registered users in the Shared Info section of the Site
"we" or "us" means sixpartswater, a charity registered in England with number 1121732) which is also a company limited by guarantee, registered in England with number 6399495, with a registered office at Portledge Estate, Fairy Cross, Bideford, Devon EX39 5BX United Kingdom, and "our" shall be interpreted accordingly
"you" means you, the user of the Site and "your" and "yourself" shall be interpreted accordingly
"your User Content" means User Content that you have posted or contributed to the Site and which forms part of the Shared Info section of the Site
Please note that we offer the Site "as is" and "as available" and without warranties (see paragraph 15 for more details on this). Whilst we endeavour to ensure that the Site is normally available 24 hours a day, we shall not be liable if for any reason the Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. Access to the Site may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, maintenance or repair or for any other reasonable cause.
The Site is for education and information purposes only. We do not give medical advice.
Additional terms may apply to:
- any purchases you make through the Site
- registration to the Site and/or any other email alert or other related services
- any poll, promotion, competition or draw appearing on the Site.
3. About the Site
The Site contains a range of health information, related software applications and services and user generated content. This includes our Content and User Content.
User Content is not reviewed or moderated by us before it is posted. We are not in a position to verify User Content and can give no warranty that it is true or accurate or not misleading.
Our Content and User Content can be viewed without registering with us, but to interact with the Site, you must register.
We may accept sponsorship on the Site on certain conditions - see our Sponsorship for more information.
4. Purpose of the Site
The information on the Site, both our Content and User Content, is for education and information purposes only. It is intended to help you become a more informed health care consumer and to complement, not replace, the care or advice provided by your doctor or other health care practitioners.
You acknowledge that whilst we endeavour to ensure that information on the Site and any related material provided to you is accurate and complete, it is provided only for general information, is not intended to address your particular requirements and does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation by us. Also, you acknowledge that some of the content may be supplied by third parties and the accuracy and completeness of it will not have been checked by us.
If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult your doctor or other healthcare practitioner(s), who will be trained in observation and interpretation of symptoms and will be able to provide a proper diagnosisThe process of determining which condition a patient may have. based on a knowledge and understanding of all aspects of your condition and your medical history.
Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health advice from your doctor or other healthcare practitioners because of something you may have read on this Site.
You should always speak to your doctor or other health care practitioners before beginning, changing or stopping any medication or supplement or adopting any treatment or therapy for a health problem. You should tell all the practitioners you are dealing with, conventional or complementary, about any medicines, remedies, herbs or supplements you are taking or considering using.
You are solely responsible for any health, business or personal decisions or actions you take based on the information on the Site, including choosing to seek or not to seek professional medical care, or choosing or not choosing specific treatments, therapies, medications, herbs or supplements.
Developments in medical research and practice may affect the information that appears on the Site. We cannot guarantee that the information on the Site will always include the most recent findings or developments with respect to any particular subject or condition.
Nothing stated or posted on this Site is intended to be, and must not be taken to be, the practice of medical or counselling care (which expression includes, without limit, psychiatry, psychology, psychotherapy, and providing healthcare treatment, instructions, diagnosisThe process of determining which condition a patient may have., prognosis or advice).
Your access or use of this Site does not create in any way a doctor-patient, confidential, or privileged relationship, or any other relationship that would give rise to any duties on our part.
We do not recommend or endorse any specific tests, doctors, other healthcare practitioners, procedures, treatments, opinions or other information that may appear on the Site.
5. Your use of our Content
We give you permission to use our Content for personal, non-commercial purposes as long as you credit us as the source and as long as you retain any copyright or trade mark notices on the Content. You may print single copies, download and store our Content on the hard disk of a single computer for your own convenience, but you may not, without our permission, copy, reproduce, distribute, republish, adapt, edit or otherwise modify, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, broadcast, transmit, sell, rent, sub-licence, mine, exploit, frame, include within a database, news service or archive or scrape any of our Content or exploit our Content for commercial gain or any commercial purpose.
6. Your responsibilities
You confirm that:
- all information and details you provide us on registration will be true and complete and that you will promptly update any information you provide to us, to keep it true and complete
- you will not provide any false personal information on the Site, including claiming false credentials
- when participating in the Shared Info section of the Site, you will comply with the House Rules
- you will use the Site for lawful, non-commercial purposes only
- you will not use the Site in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair our servers or networks, or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of the Site
- you will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any user accounts, or computer systems or networks, through hacking, password mining or any other means
- you will not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limit scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to the Site
- you will not use the Site to copy, store, hostAn animal or plant that supports a parasite., transmit, send, use, publish or distribute any material which consists of (or is linked to) any spyware, computer virusA microbe that is only able to multiply within living cells., Trojan horse, logic bombs, worm, keystroke logger, rootkit, other malicious computer software or any material that may interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment
- you will not use contact information provided by our users, or harvest information about our users, for the purpose of sending, or to facilitate the sending, of unsolicited bulk communications such as SPAM or SPIM
To interact with the Site, you must register.
You must be 13 years or over to register. If we discover or have any reason to suspect that you are not over 13 years of age, then we reserve our right to suspend or terminate your registration to the Site immediately and without notice.
If you're under 16, please get a parent's or guardian's permission before registering.
You should not register if you are a convicted sex offender.
We shall be entitled to refuse you the right to register on the Site at our absolute discretion and you accept that you will not be entitled to any justification or explanation on our part if we decide to refuse, cancel or suspend your registration.
During registration you will provide an e-mail address and create a password. These are your log in details for accessing those parts or functions of the Site that are only available to registered users. You will also select a on-screen name that will be your "On-screen name" on the Site. You may not use an On-screen name that is vulgar, attempts to impersonate another person, or violates the rights of others. If you wish to maintain your anonymity, we recommend that you do not include your real first or last name in your On-screen name and that you identify yourself at all times only by your On-screen name.
You accept full responsibility for all use of your account and for any actions that take place on the Site by anyone using your Log In Details so you must not share your Log In Details with anyone else, let anyone else use your Log In Details or do anything that jeopardises the security of your Log In Details. You will notify us immediately of any authorised use of your Log In Details or any other breach of security of which you become aware.
You will not create multiple registrations.
When you register, you must give us and thereafter keep up to date a valid personal email address that you access regularly so that moderation emails can be sent to you.
Registrations using someone else's email address, or with temporary email addresses, may be closed without notice. We may require users to re-validate their account if we believe they have been using an invalid email address.
We ask you to update the voluntary information element of your user profile as and when your circumstances change.
We reserve the right to suspend or cancel registrations if any user is seen to be using proxy IPs (Internet Protocol addresses) in order to attempt to hide the use of multiple registrations, or if a user from one country pretends to be a user from another country, or disrupts any of our services in any way.
You may terminate your registration at any time.
8. Shared Info visible to all
You should be aware that all parts of the Shared Info section of the Site are visible to all, any registered user can interact with them and their User Content can be viewed by any user of the Site.
9. User Content
We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from including in any User Content any materials that violate another party's intellectual property rights. When we receive notification of a potential copyright infringement, we will promptly remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing material and terminate the registration of repeat infringers.
We may remove User Content from the Site for any reason, including User Content that:
- may be offensive, defamatory, illegal, or that may violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of other visitors or users, or other people in general
- has generated a complaint which warrants further investigation.
We are not, however, responsible for any failure or delay in removing User Content.
You may not include in User Content material that you did not create or that you do not have permission to post or contribute. You understand and agree that we are not obliged to review the Site for copyright infringement and are not responsible for content posted by third parties.
When you post or contribute User Content to any part of the Site:
- you authorise and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of that content
- copyright in any of your User Content remains with you, and the permissions granted in the following sub-paragraphs of this paragraph 9 are not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material in any way, including allowing others to use it. However, you can never retract or alter the license or permission for that User Content. That content will remain so licensed until it enters the public domain when your copyright expires.
By posting or contributing User Content to the 6PW Chat and Patient Stories parts of the Shared Info section of the Site:
- you grant, and you promise that you have the right to grant, to us an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty free, worldwide licence to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, adapt, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such content in any existing or future media for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such content
- you waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any User Content
- you authorise each user of the Site to use it for personal, non-commercial purposes only and to print, download and store it
By contributing User Content to the 6PW Wiki part of the Shared Info section of the Site you grant, and you promise that you have the right to grant, permission to the public to copy, distribute and/or modify that content under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation, with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.
While some parts of the Shared Info section of the Site are monitored for topicality, we have no obligation to pre-screen or moderate User Content, and are not responsible for its content. We encourage you to notify us of inappropriate or illegal content by using the Report as inappropriate link. Keep in mind that User Content of others is simply their opinion and you should not rely on it.
For everyone's safety, we reserve the right to review, either manually or using systematic or automated means, all User Content.
In addition to your User Content, we welcome your feedback and suggestions regarding our Site. You agree that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them, and that we will own all intellectual property that we create based upon or incorporating them.
Your security and that of all our registered users is very important to us. Our Privacy & Cookies Policy explains the information practices that apply to the personal information we have about you, as well as the choices you can make about the ways this information is used.
11. Links to other sites
The Site may include links to other websites, including links provided as automated search results. If you use these links you leave the Site. Some of these sites may contain materials that are objectionable, unlawful, or inaccurate. These links are provided for your convenience only and do not mean that we endorse these sites or the products and services they provide. We do not review these third party sites and do not control them, their content or availability. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible or liable for the content or accuracy or availability of these other sites. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked from the Site, you do so entirely at your own risk.
12. Services offered on the Site
We currently offer the services on the Site for free but do not guarantee this will always be the case.
13. Linking to sixpartswater.org
You generally do not need to obtain our permission to put a text link on your site that links back to the Site. We reserve the right, however, to revoke permission to the link at any time in our sole discretion. If we revoke such consent, you agree to immediately remove and disable any and all of your links to the Site. In the absence of a written agreement with us specifying how you may link to the Site, use the following guidelines for adding one or more links to the Site from your website:
- the link must be a text-only link that clearly includes the phrases "sixpartswater.org" or "sixpartswater" and you must not reproduce any of our logos or branding on your website
- the link must "point" to a page on sixpartswater.org
- if the link points to any page on the Site other than the home page, the text link must also include the title of the target landing page
- the appearance, position and other aspects of the link may not be such as to damage or dilute the goodwill associated with our good name and trademarks
- the appearance, position and other aspects of the link may not create the false impression that an entity is associated with, sponsored by, or endorsed by us
- the link, when activated by a user, must display the Site full-screen and not within a "frame" on the linking website and linking may not trigger any interstitial or pop-up or pop-under windows
- the link may not be used in connection with or appear on a website that a reasonable person might consider offensive, obscene, defamatory or otherwise malicious
14. International use
We cannot confirm that use of the Site outside of the United Kingdom is lawful and we cannot be held responsible for any consequences that follow if users access the Site outside of the United Kingdom. Accessing the Site from territories where the content is illegal is prohibited.
15. No Warranties
We will use all reasonable endeavours to correct any errors or omissions in our Content as soon as reasonably practicable once they have been brought to our attention.
We give no warranty whatsoever concerning our Content or User Content, including, but without limit, as to its accuracy, truthfulness or completeness.
We will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Site does not contain or promulgate any virusesMicrobes that are only able to multiply within living cells. or other malicious code. However, we do not warrant that functions available on the Site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Site or the server that makes it available are free of virusesMicrobes that are only able to multiply within living cells. or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virusA microbe that is only able to multiply within living cells. checks (including anti-virusA microbe that is only able to multiply within living cells. and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the security of data and we recommended that you should virusA microbe that is only able to multiply within living cells. check all hardware and regularly check for the presence of virusesMicrobes that are only able to multiply within living cells. and other malicious code.
Access to the Site and the information on it and its services may be suspended temporarily and without notice in the case of system failure, necessary maintenance or repair or for reasons beyond our control.
16. General disclaimer and limitation of liability
We accept liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or that of our employees and we do not seek to exclude liability for fraudulent misrepresentation by us or our employees. Subject to the first sentence in this paragraph we shall not be liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such damage or losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of the Site regardless of the form of action. Subject to the first and second sentences in this paragraph, any liability of ours arising in respect of your use of the Site (whether in tort, contract or otherwise) shall be limited in aggregate to five hundred pounds sterling (£500) per event.
- delete any or all of your User Content
- send you one or more formal warnings
- temporarily suspend your registration
- cancel your registration
- temporarily or permanently prohibit you from accessing the Site
- block computers using your IP address from accessing the Site
- contact your internet services provider and request that they block your access to the Site, and/or
- bring court proceedings against you for breach of contract or otherwise.
Where we suspend or prohibit or block your access to a part of the Site, you must not take any action to circumvent such suspension or prohibition or blocking (including creating and/or using a different registration).
We may also cancel or suspend your registration for any other reason, including inactivity for an extended period. Your right to use those services requiring registration will end once your registration is cancelled, terminated or suspended.
You agree to indemnify us and hold us harmless against any claim or damages (including any legal fees and costs in relation to such claim or damages) made by a third party in respect of any matter in relation to or arising from your use of any part of the Site and registration with us or arising from any breach or suspected breach of these Terms by you or your violation of any law or the rights of any third party.
20. Entire agreement
We shall not be liable for any failure or suspension of the Site, or for termination of access to the Site or access to any Site content, which arises from an event which is beyond our reasonable control. An event beyond our reasonable control shall include, without limitation, failure of infrastructure, government intervention, wars, civil commotion, hijacking, fire, flood, accident, storm, strikes, lockouts, terrorist attacks, or industrial action affecting us or our suppliers.
Effective Date: 21 March 2012